TN Visa – Works Visas for Canadian and Mexican Nationals


TN Visas

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. The TN nonimmigrant classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the U.S. to engage in business activities at a professional level.


You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status, if:- You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;- Your profession qualified under the regulations;- The position in the U.S. requires a NAFTA professional;- You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment); and- You have the qualifications to practice in the profession in question

Unlike Mexican citizens, Canadian citizens are generally eligible for admission as nonimmigrants without a visa. The TN category, a nonimmigrant classification, simply reflects this general exemption from the visa requirement. NAFTA governs which evidence is required to prove whether a Canadian or Mexican citizen is a professional in a qualifying profession.

You can find a complete list of professions with minimum education requirements and alternative credentials here:

Canadian Citizens

If you are a Canadian citizen, then you are not required to apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate. You may establish eligibility for TN classification at the time you seek admission to the U.S. by presenting required documentation to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at certain CBP-designated U.S. ports of entry or at a designated pre-clearance/pre-flight inspection station. You must provide the following documentation to the CBP officer:- Proof of Canadian citizenship;- Letter from your prospective employer detailing items such as the professional capacity in which you will work in the U.S., the purpose of your employment, your length of stay, and your educational qualifications; and- Credentials evaluation (if applicable), together with any applicable fees.

A Canadian who resides in a third country with a non-Canadian spouse and/or child(ren), and who plans to enter the U.S. as a NAFTA professional with family members, will need a TN visa in order for the family members to be eligible to apply for derivative TN nonimmigrant visas.

Mexican Citizens

If you are a Mexican citizen, then you are required to obtain a visa to enter the U.S. as a TN nonimmigrant. You should apply for a TN visa directly at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico. You must complete Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. The visa service fee for the TN category is $160.00. Once you are approved for a TN visa, you may apply for admission at certain CBP-designated U.S. ports of entry or at a designated pre-clearance/pre-flight inspection station.

Any accompanying of “following to join” spouse and child(ren) under the age of 21 may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status. Spouses and children are:- Not permitted to work while in the U.S., but they are permitted to study- Granted TN status for no longer than the period of time granted to the principal TN nonimmigrant 

Let Us Earn Your Trust

Bolour / Carl Immigration Group is a full service immigration law firm. We have been representing immigrants, nonimmigrants, families, businesses, employees, and the like, from around the globe for over 25 years. With over 25 years of experience exclusively in the field of Immigration Law, we have garnered the knowledge to handle the most complex cases and adequately represent a wide range of clientele. The size of our firm ensures that all of our clients receive hands on service from their attorneys and a direct line of communication with our attorneys.Learn More