VAWA – Violence Against Women’s Act

Home » Immigration Law » VAWA – Violence Against Women’s Act

If you’ve been physically or emotionally abused by your US spouse, please seek appropriate help, which include calling 911 to ask for police protection. Your health and safety override any immigration issues you may have.

We have extensive experience in counseling on immigration issues associated with a sudden separation from your US spouse. We understand the immense emotional trauma involved with domestic violence. Feeling guilty, hopeless, and alone are part and parcel of the abuse.

Under Violence Against Women Act – VAWA – US law offers immigration relief for victims of domestic violence. Men, women, and gender nonconforming victims may benefit in the form of a green card under this category.

Green Card for VAWA Self-Petitioner

Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), you may be eligible to become a lawful permanent resident (get a Green Card) if you are the victim of battery or extreme cruelty committed by:

  • A U.S. citizen spouse or former spouse;
  • A U.S. citizen parent;
  • A U.S. citizen son or daughter;
  • A lawful permanent resident (LPR) spouse or former spouse; or
  • An LPR parent.

You may self-petition under VAWA by filing a Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (Form I-360) without your abusive family member’s knowledge or consent.

Eligibility for Adjustment of Status

In order to be eligible for a Green Card as a VAWA self-petitioner, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You properly file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status;
  • You are physically present in the United States at the time you file your Form I-485;
  • You are eligible to receive an immigrant visa;
  • An immigrant visa is immediately available to you at the time you file your Form I-485 and when USCIS makes a final decision on your application;
  • None of the bars to adjustment of status apply to you;
  • You are admissible to the United States for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other form of relief; and
  • You merit the favorable exercise of USCIS’ discretion.

You are eligible to receive an immigrant visa based on:

  • An approved VAWA self-petition (Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant);
  • A previously filed VAWA self-petition that remains pending (if ultimately approved); or
  • A VAWA self-petition (if ultimately approved) filed together with your Form I-485.

Asking for help is the first and often the most difficult step in ending an abusive relationship. You are not alone. We are here to listen to you, and offer counsel and guidance.

Understanding The Role Of A Specialized Attorney 

Navigating through the complexities of legal battles can be daunting, especially when it pertains to sensitive issues such as violence against women. In Los Angeles, CA, there exists a cadre of dedicated attorneys who specialize in representing victims of such violence. Their knowledge not only offers a beacon of hope to many but also ensures that justice is pursued with tenacity and compassion. Here, we will attempt to demystify the roles of a Los Angeles, CA violence against women act lawyer and guide you on when their services are indispensable. Always reach out to Bolour / Carl Immigration Group, APC if you need assistance with your case. You are not alone.

Advocacy And Representation In Court

One of the primary roles of these attorneys is to serve as staunch advocates for their clients in court. They possess a deep understanding of the laws and statutes related to violence against women and use this knowledge to build strong cases for their clients. Whether it’s navigating the complexities of restraining orders or arguing cases of domestic violence, these legal professionals ensure that their clients’ voices are heard and respected in the judicial system.

Legal Advice And Strategy

Understanding one’s legal rights and the best course of action can be overwhelming for victims. Specialized violence against women act lawyers in California provide crucial legal advice, helping clients understand the nuances of their cases. They outline the various legal avenues available and recommend strategies tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. This guidance is invaluable in helping victims make informed decisions about their legal journey.

Emotional Support And Understanding

Facing the legal aftermath of violence can be emotionally taxing for victims. Attorneys in this field are not only legal representatives but also sources of support. They approach their clients with empathy and understanding, creating a safe space for them to express their fears and concerns. This emotional support is crucial in helping clients navigate their legal battles with confidence.

Liaison With Law Enforcement And Other Agencies

These lawyers often act as intermediaries between victims and various agencies, including law enforcement and social services. They ensure that their clients’ cases are taken seriously and that all investigative and protective measures are in place. By coordinating with these agencies, attorneys help streamline the legal process, making it less intimidating for their clients.

Ensuring Confidentiality And Safety

Confidentiality is paramount in cases of violence against women. Specialized attorneys are staunch protectors of their clients’ privacy, ensuring that sensitive information is handled with the utmost care. They also provide guidance on safety planning, helping clients take steps to protect themselves and their loved ones from further harm. This is a crucial step to take so that women can remain safe and avoid any kind of retaliation.

When To Seek Their Services

It’s crucial to seek the services of a specialized attorney if you or someone you know is facing legal issues related to violence against women. Whether it’s seeking a restraining order, pressing charges, or navigating the complexities of the legal system, California violence against women act attorneys are equipped to provide the guidance and support needed. Their expertise is not only in legal representation but in offering a holistic approach that considers the emotional and physical well-being of their clients.

Take The Next Step Towards Justice

If you’re facing a situation where you need legal assistance, don’t hesitate to reach out to a specialized attorney in Los Angeles, CA. Their expertise, empathy, and dedication can be the cornerstone of your journey towards justice and healing. Remember, taking the step to seek legal advice is not only about pursuing justice but also about ensuring your safety and well-being. Contact Bolour / Carl Immigration Group, APC today and take the first step towards reclaiming your peace and security.

Client Review

"Professionalism, friendly, respectful, helpful and always answering any questions I had. The long journey has brought me a mix of emotions but the team of Bolour Immigration Group and particularly Scott and Ally have proven to be the right choice to help me get through."
Client Review

Los Angeles Office
5169 W Washington Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90016

Let Us Earn Your Trust

Welcome to Bolour / Carl Immigration Group, we are comprehensive immigration legal specialists. For over 25 years, we've stood as a pillar of expertise in immigration law. Our dedicated team offers unmatched guidance to individuals, professionals, families, and businesses both locally in California as well as internationally.

For us, immigration isn't simply about the legalities. Immigration law is about realizing dreams, building futures, and connecting worlds. In our firm, you're more than just a case. We see our clients as the individuals they are with dreams that we're passionate about bringing to life. Our firm's approach guarantees personal attention, ensuring each client feels recognized and understood.

Embark on your immigration journey with confidence, with Bolour / Carl by your side..