Home » J-1 Visa

J-1 Visa

by Ally Bolour | Jul 30, 2020

J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program

By Angela Filippi (Law Clerk)

If you are enrolled in a college or university, or you are a graduate, you may be eligible for a J-1 Visa.

The J-1 visa gives you the opportunity to intern or get training in the US, for a U.S. company, for a certain period of time – three weeks up to twelve months (as interns) or up to eighteen months (as trainees). Professors, researchers, post-docs, physicians, au pairs and recognized specialists may also be eligible for a J-1 visa.

You may not self-petition for a J-1, meaning that you will need a sponsor in the US or in your home country. The sponsors vary among corporations, universities and organizations (for a complete list of sponsors in the United States visit https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/ and select the program you are interested to, for a complete list of sponsors operating in your home country visit https://j1visa.state.gov/sponsors/sponsor-by-country/?program=all).

In the most common scenario, the foreign national will have to interact with two entities: the company offering the position as well as the Sponsor, which will provide you with the documentation (Form DS-2019) for the visa interview.  The Sponsor will also monitor the performance of the foreign national during his/her time in the US.

This process requires time, precision and a certain amount of paperwork, including the preparation of a detailed internship or training plan (Form DS-7002). Furthermore, sponsors usually require the payment of a fee, or multiple fees, to participate in the exchange visitor program.

The SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee and the non-immigrant visa fee will have to be submitted prior to the visa interview.  For the interview, the applicant will need a valid passport, a passport size photo, the original Form DS-2019 from the Sponsor, the original Form DS-160, and the visa application fee receipt.

We can help.  Call any one of our attorneys for a consultation, or visit our website  www.americanvisas.net for further information. 

Client Review

"Professionalism, friendly, respectful, helpful and always answering any questions I had. The long journey has brought me a mix of emotions but the team of Bolour Immigration Group and particularly Scott and Ally have proven to be the right choice to help me get through."
Client Review

Los Angeles Office
5169 W Washington Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90016